Dental implants are quickly becoming the gold standard way of replacing missing teeth. Whether one or multiple teeth are missing, a dental implant is the restoration that most closely resembles and functions like a natural tooth.
There are 3 parts to a dental implant restoration:
- The implant: this is a small titanium screw that is placed into the bone that holds the teeth in. It stays completely under the gums. Think of this as the “root” of your new tooth.
- The abutment: this is a piece that attaches permanently to the implant and sticks out of the gums to hold a crown on. It will be completely covered by the crown.
- The crown: This is cemented permanently on top of the abutment and looks like the rest of your natural teeth.
The advantages of dental implants are:
- They are permanently cemented in place.
- It does not require you to alter neighboring teeth.
- You take care of them just like you would your natural teeth.